Post surgery, I had a massive craving for doughnuts.
When I got home to NYC and was able to stand for a bit, I decided to take my cakester recipe and play with it until I came up with this protein brownie doughnut that is flourless, gluten-free and absolutely delicious.
Without further interruptions, here is the recipe for these amazing protein doughnuts. As always, thanks Jenn for hosting this food loving party! Flourless Protein Brownie Cake Doughnuts Ingredients (Makes Six)
- 1/2 Cup of Chopped Up Dark Chocolate (I use 60% or higher)
- 1 Tbsp of Creamy Almond Butter (Peanut Butter is delicious too, or your choice!)
- 1 Tbsp of Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 tsp of Pure Maple Syrup (or Agave, Honey)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Coconut Sugar (or substitute w/ Stevia)
- 1 Tbsp of Ground Flax Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Vanilla Protein
- 2 Large Eggwhites
- Dash of Sea Salt
- Add In’s: Almond Slivers, Chia Seeds, Coconut Flakes, Dark Chocolate Chips, etc.
- Toppings: Protein Glaze, Almond Butter, Coconut Flakes, Hemp Seeds, Almond Slivers, etc.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Take the first three ingredients and melt in the microwave for 30-45 seconds (depending on your microwave). Once chocolate is melted, add in the remaining ingredients except for the eggwhites and sea salt.
- Once everything is well mixed, place the brownie doughnut batter to the side and whisk the eggwhites with the sea salt. Then take blended eggwhites and mix well into batter.
- Now you can finally add the batter into a doughnut pan (or use a cupcake pan or a small square pan to make brownies). I usually like to make different kinds of doughnuts and mix different things into all six. My mom enjoys almond slivers inside and and I like to add a little chia seeds and dark chocolate chips.
- Place doughnuts into the oven for 8-10mins (again, depending on your oven). I usually like to check at the 6 minute mark just to be on the safe side.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven and let them cool for about 5mins. Top with your favorite goodies such as a little protein glaze, coconut flakes and almonds or simply a little glaze and more seeds; flax, hemp or chia or all three!
You can tell that I’m a seed freak 😉
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. The next thing I am going to try is make them vegan. I’ll let you know how that goes.